Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāranī (The Blue Necked Dhāranī)
(Adoration of the triple Gem)
I. Initial Salutation
Nama āryāvalokite-śvarāya bodhisattvāya mahā-sattvāya mahā-kārunikāya
(Adoration to the noble Lord who looks down, the enlightened sentient being, the great being, the merciful one!)
II. Name of Avalokiteśvarā
Om sarva-bhaya-śodhanāya tasya namaskrtvā imu Ārya-valokite-śvarā tava namo Nīlakantha 2
(Om! Having paid adoration to One who dispels all fears, the noble Avalokiteśvarā, adoration to the blue-necked one!)
III. śloka enunication of the merit of the hrdaya-dhāranī
Hrdayam vartayisyāmi sarvārtha-sādhanam śubham 3 ajeyam sarva-bhūtānām bhava-mārga-viśodhakam 4
(I shall enunciate the heart dharani which ensures all purpose, is pure and invincible for all beings, and which purifies the path of existence.)
(To you who sees us, hail! To the Successful one hail! To the Great Successful one hail! To the Successful Lord of the yogis, hail!)Tadyathā: Om Ālokādhipati lokātikrānta
(Like this: Om! Lord of Effulgence, the World-Transcending One.)Ehy mahā-bodhisattva sarpa-sarpa smara smara hrdayam
(Come, great bodhisattva, descend, descend. Please remember (smara) my heart dharani.)Kuru-kuru karma dhuru-dhuru vijayate mahā-vijayate
(Do, do the work. Hold fast, hold fast, Victor, the great Victor)Dhara-dhara dhārinī-rāja cala-cala mama vimalā-mūrtte
(Hold on, hold on, King of the Dharani. Move, move onto my spotless image.)Ehi ehi chinda chinda aras pracali vaśa-vaśam pranāśaya
(Come, come, the vow, the vow of the admantine king, destroy, destroy every poison.)Hulu-hulu smara hulu-hulu sara-sara siri-siri suru-suru
(Quick-quick, please remember, quick-quick. Descend-descend, descend-descend, descend-descend)Bodhiya-bodhiya bodhaya-bodhaya maitriya Nīlakantha [dehi me] darsanam
(Being enlightened, being enlightened; enlighten me, enlighten me. Merciful Blue-necked One appear [unto me].)Praharāyamānāya svāhā siddhāya svāhā mahā-siddhāya svāhā siddhayogīśvarāya svāhā
Nīlakanthāya svāhā varāha-mukhāya svāhā narasimha-mukhāya svāha
(To the Blue-necked one (Nīlakantha) hail! To the Boar-faced One hail! To Man-Lion faced One hail!)Gadā-hastāya svāhā cakra-hastāya svāhā padma-hastāya svāhā
(To one who bears the mace (gadā) in his hand, hail! To the holder of discus in his hand, hail! To One who sports a lotus (padma) in his hand, hail!)Nīlakantha-pāndarāya svāhā Mahātali Śankaraya svāhā
(To Blue-necked One smeared (with holy ashes), hail! To the mighty auspicious one, hail!)
V. Final Salutation
Namo ratna-trayāya Nama āryāvalokite-śvarāya bodhisattvāya svāhā
(Adoration to the Triple Gem, adoration to the noble Āvalokiteśvarā (Lord who looks down), the enlightened being, hail!)
Mahā Karuna Dhāranī (大悲咒)
I. Initial Salutation (前行)
namaḥ ratna-trayāya namo āryā valokiteśvarāya1 bodhisattvāya mahā-sattvāya mahā-kāruṇikāya2
(Adoration to the Three Gems, adoration to the noble Avalokiteśvarā, the enlightened sentient being, the great being, the merciful (one)!)
(皈依 三寶，皈依 聖 觀音，覺有情，大士，大悲心 (者)！)
II. Name of Avalokite-śvarā (觀音名)
oṃ sarva rabhaye sudhanadasya3 namas-kṛtvā imaṃ āryā-valokite-śvara raṃdhava namo narakindhi hrīḥ4
(Oneness with all saints (and their) righteous doctrine (righteous-joyous language). After the adoration to that noble(arya) Avalokiteśvarā of the Mercy (Fragrant) Land, I offer my respectful obeisances to the virtuous supreme lord)
(皈依 一切 聖眾 (及) 正教(喜悅的正語)。頂禮 完畢 彼 洛迦山 (慈悲地/香山) 之聖 觀音, 頂禮 (彼) 賢善尊。)
III. Śloka Enunication of the Merit of the Hrdaya-Dhāranī (功德迴向)
mahā vadhasame5 sarva arthaduh śubhaṃ ajeyaṃ sarva sattva6
((Who emits) great brilliance light, all sentient beings (sarva-satva) are without attachment (āthaduh) and in undefeatable(ajeyam) purity (śubhum) in all things.)
((放)大光明，(令)一切 眾生 在 一切 無比 無貪 妙 淨。皈依 大樂有情，皈依 大樂童子 (他受)天人所親近。)
(皈依 大樂有情，皈依 大樂童子 (他受)天人所親近。)namo vasattva namo vaga mavadudhu7
Adoration to the joyful being, adoration to the joyful virgin who served by all heavenly beings;)
IV. Dhāranī (咒文)
tadyathā oṃ avaloki lokāte8
(Like this: Oneness with/adoration to the seer (avalokite) of the world (loka) - (Avalokiteśvarā),)
(咒曰：合一/皈依 觀世 (者)，)karāte e hrīḥ mahā-bodhisattva9 sarva sarva mālā mālā10 mahimā hṛdayam11
(whose (ye) compassionate heart (hrdayam). The great sentient enlightened being; all, all, are garland (immaculate), garland (immaculate), great liberated heart)
((他)大悲。心大覺有情 一切一切 (的) 花蔓 (清淨)花蔓 (清淨)，大 自在心，)kuru kuru karmaṃ12 dhuru dhuru vājayate mahā vājayate13
(Accomplish, accomplish the task (karma). Liberate, liberate, the victorious one, the great victorious one.)
(作(此)，作(此) 義業。度脫，度脫，的勝者，大勝者。)dhara dhara dhṛṇi śvarāya14 cala cala mama vamāra muktele15
(Hold on, hold on the brave freedom (īśvara). Lead, lead to my immaculate liberation)
((他) 能持，能持 勇猛 自在。(令) 動(變化)，動(變化) 我所 離垢 解脫。)ehi ehi śīṇa śīṇa ārṣam pracali16 vaśa-vaśaṃ praśaya17
(順召，順召，弘誓，弘誓，法王，法王子 (覺身之子)，(他)統治，統治 和平 [統治和平的法王，法王子 請來完我弘誓]。)
(Purify, purify personification of delusions; purify, purify the heart (hrdayam). Firm, firm; brave, brave; wonder form (being), wonder form (being).)
(Enlightenment, enlightenment, the enlightened one, the enlightened one. The benevolent, virtuous one,)
(覺道(罷)，覺道(罷)；覺者，覺者 [覺者 - 堅定 勇猛 的 妙者, 覺道了]。大慈 大賢(悲)者，)
(Success in power and fame, success in benevolence, success in great benevolence, success in achieving freedom (īśvara) through union (with dharma),)
((他) 堅利名聞 成就，義利 成就，大義利 成就，相應而得 自在 成就，)
(Success in virtues, Success in immaculate joy, incomparable success in ultima convincing speech, incomparable success in all profound meaning)
(賢愛 成就，無垢妙樂 成就，愛攝語 究竟無比 成就，一切 大義無比 成就，)
(Incomparable success in (turning) the wheel, success in the red lotus (immaculate) deed,)
((轉)法輪 無比 成就，紅蓮 (妙 淨) 義業 成就，)
(Success in (becoming a) virtuous Bhagavan (blessed one), success in own prestige nature.)
(賢愛 尊 成就，(具)威德 自性 成就。)
V. Final Salutation (結分)
namaḥ ratna-trayāya namo āryā valokiteśvarāya svāhā35
(Refuge in the Triple Gem, take refuge in the success of noble Avalokite (look upon) śvarā (sound)
(皈依 三寶，皈依 聖 觀音 (之)圓滿。)
oṃ siddhyantu mantra padāya svāhā36
(Oneness (om) with the success (svaha) of achieving (sidhyantu) these invocation (mantra) verses (pada)!
((天人)合一 令成就 咒句 圓滿 [令(我)圓滿 成就(此)真言句] ！)
Avalokiteśvaraikadaśamukha Dhāraṇī (Eleven Faced Avalokitesvara Dhāranī)
Great Compassion Mantra in Chinese
Initial Vows of Great Compassion Dharani Recitation
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I quickly know all Dharmas;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I soon obtain the Wisdom Eye;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I quickly ferry all living beings (to the shore of liberation);
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I soon obtain virtuous skillful means (to enlighten various living beings);
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I quickly board the Prajna Boat;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I soon transcend the ocean of suffering;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I quickly achieve precepts, Samadhi and the Way;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I soon ascend the mountain of Nirvana;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I quickly dwell in the house of non-action;
- Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, May I soon unite with the Dharma-Nature Body.
- If I go towards the mountain of knives, the mountain of knives of itself breaks up;
- If I go towards the boiling oil, the boiling oil of itself dries up;
- If I go towards the hells, the hells of themselves disappear;
- If I go towards the hungry ghosts, the hungry ghosts of themselves become full.
- If I go towards the Asuras, their evil thoughts of themselves are tamed.
- If I go towards the animals, they themselves attain great wisdom.
"After making these vows, recite my name(Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva) with the deep-felt sincere heart, also recite single-mindedly the name of my teacher -- Amitabha Tathagata(Namo Amitabha), then recite this mantra, 5 times or more in a day, to remove from the body the weighty sins of births and deaths accumulated in hundreds of thousands of billions of kalpas."
Treasure Chest Seal Dhāraṇī
- Avalokiteśvarā: Avalokita (ava+lokita: 'ava' preverb meaning down, upon; lokita a past-participle of lok 'to see') observed, looking [down] upon) + īśvara (Lord) i.e. Lord of the Observed World. (with sandhi a + ī > e) Chinese 觀自在 (Kwan tzu-tsai). The Tibetan translation སྤྱན་རས་གཟིགས་དབང་ཕྱུག་ pronounced chenrezig wangchug, where chenrezig refers watching out over, and wangchug is the translation for ishvara, Lord. In early texts also Avalokitasvara where svara means sounds: Chinese 觀音 (Kwan Yin, also spelt Guān Yīn, and in Japanese: Kannon). The latter is the name more commonly used in China.
- cakra: pronounced 'chakra', means wheel, as in wheel of life (bhava-cakra) or wheel of law.
- mahāsiddha: the attainment of extraordinary abilities (siddhi).
- maitri: kindness, benevolence.
- mālā: (lit.) "garland", symbolize "immaculate".
- Māra: death, the devil. Embodiment of the selfish attachments and temptations that bind one to the cycle of birth and death.
- namo, namah, namas (variations caused by [sandhi]: homage, salutation, adoration, greeting!
- [oṃ]: means oneness with the Supreme, the merging of the physical being with the spiritual. The most sacred syllable, the first sound of Almighty. This sacred syllable appears as a mystic sound, regarded as the basis of every other mantra. It is the sound not only of origination but also for dissolution.